|To enlarge: right click on image, open in new window and click on image again.|
The science museum was housed in Buile Hill House, located in Buile Hill Park. It was converted into a Natural History Museum in 1906. Eventually, with the cooperation of the National Coal Board, a large-scale model of a coal mine was constructed in the building during the 1950s. However, compared to the glittering glass and chrome of Salford Quays, the Buile Hill museum appears old-fashioned, the vestige of an age perhaps best forgotten, and certainly not in keeping with the city's progressive 'Brave New World' image. In 2000, at the dawn of the new millennium, the Buile Hill Mining Museum was closed.