|Salford Reporter ca. 1976|
click on images to englarge
Names mentioned in the text:
- Elkanah Armitage (portrait)
- Lord Bexley (portrait)
- William Brettargh ; Blue Bonnet Cottages
- Charles Broster
- John Byrom (portrait)
- Camp Street
Bury New Road follows the route of a Roman road than ran from Mamucium (Manchester) to Bremetenacum Veteranorum (Ribchester). John Just, an antiquary, drew a plan of the route based on the work of the Ordnance Survey, which he published in 1842.
In Lower Broughton, a 'camp' was though to be situated at the junction of Castle Street and Bury New Road. Its proximity to the road led to speculation that it too might be Roman, but this determination is questionable, since no plan of the monument survives.
|Map of 1845. Source: John Rylands Library|
- Claremont was the residence of the Oliver Heywood and Benjamin Heywood. It was demolished in 1955.
- Clowes Family
- Daniel Adamson
- Ford Lane ; aerial view ; suspension bridge
- Guy Fawkes ; Ordsall Hall ; John Radcliffe
- Lissadell House ; Sir Henry Gore-Booth ; Humphrey Booth
Visit the Streets Museum